By Allen J. Frantzen
- Reveals vital hyperlinks among principal thoughts of the Anglo-Saxon interval and matters we expect approximately today
- Reveals how fabric culture—the heritage of work, medication, know-how, id, masculinity, intercourse, foodstuff, land use—is as very important because the background of ideas
- Offers a richly theorized procedure that intersects with many disciplines inside and out of medieval studies
Read or Download Anglo-Saxon Keywords (Keywords in Literature and Culture (KILC).) PDF
Best literary medieval criticism books
The Blackwell better half to Greek Tragedy offers readers with a primary grounding in Greek tragedy, and likewise introduces them to a few of the methodologies and the vigorous severe discussion that represent the examine of Greek tragedy at the present time. includes 31 unique essays by way of a world forged of individuals, together with up-and-coming in addition to wonderful senior students will pay cognizance to socio-political, textual, and function features of Greek tragedy All old Greek is transliterated and translated, and technical phrases are defined as they seem contains feedback for additional studying on the finish of every bankruptcy, and a beneficiant and informative mixed bibliography
Within the first prolonged research of the significance of dramatic farce in Rabelais experiences, Bruce Hayes makes an immense contribution to the knowledge of the theater of farce and its literary probabilities. by means of tracing the advance of farce in overdue medieval and Renaissance comedic theater compared to the evolution of farce in Rabelais's paintings, Hayes distinguishes Rabelais's use of the machine from conventional farce.
This vast survey of scribal correction in English manuscripts explores what correcting unearths approximately attitudes to books, language and literature in past due medieval England. Daniel Wakelin surveys a number manuscripts and genres, yet focuses specially on poems by means of Chaucer, Hoccleve and Lydgate, and on prose works comparable to chronicles, spiritual guideline and useful lore.
This textbook offers an creation to German Arthurian poetry within the excessive and past due center a long time. the focus is on romances in rhyming couplets produced among 1180 and 1300. additionally, the looks of the determine of Arthur and different individuals of the around desk is traced in different Germanophone genres and contexts.
- Rabelais's Radical Farce: Late Medieval Comic Theater and Its Function in Rabelais
- Medieval Oral Literature (De Gruyter Lexikon)
- Krieg und Bürgerkrieg bei Lucan und in der griechischen Literatur: Studien zur Rezeption der attischen Tragödie und der hellenistischen Dichtung im "Bellum ... zur Altertumskunde) (German Edition)
- Alain Chartier: The Quarrel of the Belle Dame Sans Mercy (Routledge Medieval Texts)
Additional info for Anglo-Saxon Keywords (Keywords in Literature and Culture (KILC).)