By Ronald W. Vince
Read or Download Ancient and Medieval Theatre: A Historiographical Handbook PDF
Best literary medieval criticism books
The Blackwell spouse to Greek Tragedy offers readers with a basic grounding in Greek tragedy, and likewise introduces them to a few of the methodologies and the energetic severe discussion that symbolize the learn of Greek tragedy at the present time. includes 31 unique essays via a world forged of members, together with up-and-coming in addition to wonderful senior students can pay realization to socio-political, textual, and function points of Greek tragedy All historic Greek is transliterated and translated, and technical phrases are defined as they seem contains feedback for extra studying on the finish of every bankruptcy, and a beneficiant and informative mixed bibliography
Within the first prolonged research of the significance of dramatic farce in Rabelais experiences, Bruce Hayes makes a tremendous contribution to the knowledge of the theater of farce and its literary probabilities. through tracing the advance of farce in past due medieval and Renaissance comedic theater compared to the evolution of farce in Rabelais's paintings, Hayes distinguishes Rabelais's use of the equipment from conventional farce.
This wide survey of scribal correction in English manuscripts explores what correcting unearths approximately attitudes to books, language and literature in overdue medieval England. Daniel Wakelin surveys various manuscripts and genres, yet focuses in particular on poems by means of Chaucer, Hoccleve and Lydgate, and on prose works akin to chronicles, spiritual guide and functional lore.
This textbook presents an advent to German Arthurian poetry within the excessive and overdue center a long time. the main target is on romances in rhyming couplets produced among 1180 and 1300. furthermore, the looks of the determine of Arthur and different participants of the around desk is traced in different Germanophone genres and contexts.
- Irritationen: Rhetorische und poetische Verfahren der Verunsicherung (Philologus. Supplemente / Philologus. Supplementary Volumes) (German Edition)
- Malory's Anatomy of Chivalry: Characterization in the Morte Darthur
- England in Europe: English Royal Women and Literary Patronage, c.1000–c.1150 (Toronto Anglo-Saxon Series)
- A Treasury of Virtues: Sayings, Sermons, and Teachings of Ali, with the One Hundred Proverbs, attributed to al-Jahiz (Library of Arabic Literature)
- Dante and the Mystical Tradition: Bernard of Clairvaux in the Commedia (Cambridge Studies in Medieval Literature)
- Statius and Epic Games: Sport, Politics and Poetics in the Thebaid (Cambridge Classical Studies)
Additional resources for Ancient and Medieval Theatre: A Historiographical Handbook