By Cherene Sherrard-Johnson
A spouse to the Harlem Renaissance offers a complete choice of unique essays that tackle the literature and tradition of the Harlem Renaissance from the tip of global battle I to the center of the 1930s.
- Represents the main complete assurance of issues and precise new views at the Harlem Renaissance available
- Features unique contributions from either rising students of the Harlem Renaissance and proven educational “stars” within the field
- Offers a number of interdisciplinary positive factors, akin to the part on visible and expressive arts, that emphasize the collaborative nature of the era
- Includes “Spotlight Readings” that includes lesser recognized figures of the Harlem Renaissance and newly came across or undervalued writings via canonical figures
Read or Download A Companion to the Harlem Renaissance (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) PDF
Similar literary criticism & theory books
During this quantity, Graham investigates the relation among land and nationalism in South African and Zimbabwean fiction from the Nineteen Sixties to the current. This comparative examine, the 1st of its style, discusses quite a lot of writing opposed to a backdrop of local decolonization, together with novels by way of the prize-winning authors J.
The connection among Islam andthe West is among the so much pressing and hotly debated problems with our time. Thisbook is the 1st to provide a accomplished evaluation of how within which Muslimsare represented inside of sleek English writing, starting from the unconventional, throughmemoir and trip writing to journalism.
Fiction of the hot Statesman is the 1st examine of the fast tales released within the popular British magazine theNew Statesman. This publication argues that New Statesman fiction advances a robust realist preoccupation with traditional, daily life, and indicates how British family matters have a powerful carry at the working-class and lower-middle-class imaginitive output of this era.
Expatriation, the experience of being "outside" or uncovered, is a primary subject matter within the existence and paintings of Paul Bowles. starting with Bowles' account of a daunting youth reminiscence, an international outdoor explores how the dichotomies of in and out, protection and probability, enclosure and exposure—fundamental dualities in Bowles' fiction—have their private starting place within the textile of Bowles' personal existence and in addition mark his kinship with different twentieth-century writers.
- He Whiriwhiringa:: Selected Readings in Maori Literature
- Interpreting Medea
- Breaking the Silence: Toward a Black Male Feminist Criticism
- Poems of Sidney Lanier
- F.R. Leavis (Routledge Critical Thinkers)
- Solar Flares: Science Fiction in the 1970s (Liverpool Science Fiction Texts and Studies LUP)
Extra resources for A Companion to the Harlem Renaissance (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture)