By Barbara K. Gold
- Contributors characterize quite a number verified names and more youthful students, all of whom are revered specialists of their fields
- Contains unique, by no means prior to released essays, that are either obtainable to a large viewers and supply a brand new method of the affection elegists and their work
- Includes 33 essays at the Roman elegists Catullus, Tibullus, Propertius, Sulpicia, and Ovid, in addition to their Greek and Roman predecessors and later writers who have been stimulated by way of their work
- Recent years have noticeable an explosion of curiosity in Roman elegy from students who've used quite a few serious techniques to open up new avenues of understanding
Read or Download A Companion to Roman Love Elegy (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) PDF
Best literary medieval criticism books
The Blackwell significant other to Greek Tragedy offers readers with a basic grounding in Greek tragedy, and in addition introduces them to a number of the methodologies and the vigorous serious discussion that symbolize the examine of Greek tragedy at the present time. contains 31 unique essays by way of a world solid of individuals, together with up-and-coming in addition to exceptional senior students will pay awareness to socio-political, textual, and function features of Greek tragedy All old Greek is transliterated and translated, and technical phrases are defined as they seem comprises feedback for extra analyzing on the finish of every bankruptcy, and a beneficiant and informative mixed bibliography
Within the first prolonged research of the significance of dramatic farce in Rabelais experiences, Bruce Hayes makes an enormous contribution to the knowledge of the theater of farce and its literary probabilities. by means of tracing the advance of farce in overdue medieval and Renaissance comedic theater compared to the evolution of farce in Rabelais's paintings, Hayes distinguishes Rabelais's use of the equipment from conventional farce.
This vast survey of scribal correction in English manuscripts explores what correcting unearths approximately attitudes to books, language and literature in overdue medieval England. Daniel Wakelin surveys a variety of manuscripts and genres, yet focuses in particular on poems by means of Chaucer, Hoccleve and Lydgate, and on prose works resembling chronicles, spiritual guideline and functional lore.
This textbook presents an creation to German Arthurian poetry within the excessive and past due center a long time. the main target is on romances in rhyming couplets produced among 1180 and 1300. furthermore, the looks of the determine of Arthur and different participants of the around desk is traced in different Germanophone genres and contexts.
- The Cambridge Companion to Lucretius (Cambridge Companions to Literature)
- Pietas from Vergil to Dryden
- Joseph Severn: Letters and Memoirs (The Nineteenth Century Series)
- A Companion to Catullus (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)
Extra info for A Companion to Roman Love Elegy (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)