By Lorna Hardwick,Christopher Stray
- Provides a complete creation and review of classical reception - the translation of classical paintings, tradition, and inspiration in later centuries, and the quickest starting to be zone in classics
- Brings jointly 34 essays by way of a global staff of individuals excited by historical and glossy reception innovations and practices
- Combines shut readings of key receptions with wider contextualization and discussion
- Explores the impression of Greek and Roman tradition around the globe, together with the most important new parts in Arabic literature, South African drama, the historical past of images, and modern ethics
Read or Download A Companion to Classical Receptions (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) PDF
Similar literary medieval criticism books
The Blackwell significant other to Greek Tragedy offers readers with a basic grounding in Greek tragedy, and in addition introduces them to some of the methodologies and the vigorous serious discussion that symbolize the examine of Greek tragedy this present day. includes 31 unique essays by way of a world forged of participants, together with up-and-coming in addition to extraordinary senior students will pay cognizance to socio-political, textual, and function elements of Greek tragedy All historical Greek is transliterated and translated, and technical phrases are defined as they seem comprises feedback for extra interpreting on the finish of every bankruptcy, and a beneficiant and informative mixed bibliography
Within the first prolonged research of the significance of dramatic farce in Rabelais reports, Bruce Hayes makes a tremendous contribution to the knowledge of the theater of farce and its literary percentages. by means of tracing the improvement of farce in overdue medieval and Renaissance comedic theater compared to the evolution of farce in Rabelais's paintings, Hayes distinguishes Rabelais's use of the machine from conventional farce.
This broad survey of scribal correction in English manuscripts explores what correcting finds approximately attitudes to books, language and literature in overdue medieval England. Daniel Wakelin surveys quite a number manuscripts and genres, yet focuses specially on poems by way of Chaucer, Hoccleve and Lydgate, and on prose works similar to chronicles, non secular guide and functional lore.
This textbook offers an advent to German Arthurian poetry within the excessive and past due center a while. the main target is on romances in rhyming couplets produced among 1180 and 1300. moreover, the looks of the determine of Arthur and different contributors of the around desk is traced in different Germanophone genres and contexts.
- Historische Narratologie - Mediävistische Perspektiven (Trends in Medieval Philology) (German Edition)
- The Rhetoric of Seeing in Attic Forensic Oratory
- The Ovidian Heroine as Author: Reading, Writing, and Community in the Heroides
- A Handbook of Middle English Studies (Critical Theory Handbooks)
Extra info for A Companion to Classical Receptions (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)